Thursday, August 7, 2008

Edible Frog

Most girls are afraid of frog. Honestly I'm afraid of all cold blooded animals. Frog is one of them. But I overcome my fear when my uncle and me went to rice field and catch frogs for food. There are frog species that are edible, one of them is called "palakang bukid" (rice field frogs), the one with slippery-smooth skin and large legs. At first I'm don't want to touch those frogs but he told me not be "maarte" so I help him catch them. We went to the rice field at night and bring light with us to attract them. It is better to go catch at night to be sure they are out on the field.

In the morning we clean them. We use ash so we can hold them then kill them by cutting their head first then peel the skin then cut their feet. The way we clean those frogs actually brutal. After cleaning them we just fry them and it taste like chicken. Yummy!!! Frog meat is considered a delicacy in other Asian countries too like Japan and China.

My experiences in catching and killing frogs actually help me in our Biology class. We disect them and know all the parts inside and clean them to submit a skeletal parts. Got a nice grade and our instructor kept my project. I'm so thankful I'm an Ilokano. I was trained not to be afraid with frogs.

2 comments:

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

hmmm, yummy frogs! I do eat them too when we go on vacation on my grandmother's place in sultan kudarat. I even eat tipaklong bukid, yummy!

annhughes said...

ilokano ka nga hihihi talo ako sayo..pati tipaklong nakakain ka na.. me not pa

Blessings from God